Global warming can seem like such a huge, depressing problem that it’s easy to wonder what one person can do to fight it. Sure, we all know that we can change light bulbs and buy hybrid cars.
But what else can one person do?
Here are ten ideas: Ten Things You Can Do. OK, maybe you think you can’t do all ten – at least not right now. But take a look at this list – I guarantee there’s something you can do to help fight global warming right now.
1. Sign up for alternate energy. Here’s how. Did you know that residential housing – not transportation – is the biggest contributor to global warming? In fact, globally the biggest contributor to global warming is US residential housing stock and the second largest contributor is Chinese heavy industry.
2. If you are renovating your home, or building a new one, insist on green building materials. This Green Home Guide from the US Green Building Council is full of helpful information.
3. When replacing your appliances, buy only those with the ENERGY STAR label. According to the EPA, replacing a 1990-vintage refrigerator with a new ENERGY STAR fridge would save enough energy to light the average household for nearly four months. Just remember to recycle your old one: RecycleMyOldFridge.com
4. Consider downsizing. Do you really need so much room for all that – stuff?
5. Move closer to sources of public transportation, or closer to your job. Better yet – see if you can telecommute.
6. Did you know carpooling has become chic? Start a carpool or better yet – walk or bike ride as much as possible.
7. Buy locally produced goods. They don’t need to be flown across oceans or shipped cross-country.
8. If the children in your community are bussed to school, ask why. Lobby your school district to open up shuttered buildings so that more kids can walk to school.
9. Ask businesses you patronize to turn down the a/c and to turn off the lights at night. Speak up. Customers matter.
10. The power of many like-minded people coming together is awesome. If your community doesn’t have a sustainability initiative like Bethesda Green, start one.
What do you think of these ideas? Do you have any others? I’d love to hear what you’re doing to make a difference. Leave a comment and share!
— Copyright 2008 OrganicManiaglobal warming, Green Ideas & Stuff | Wordpress Comments (5) |